Search This Blog

8.19.2009

Misty Waters

On Monday, my Canadian STINT team went to Niagara Falls for a day trip. While I was there, I finally went to Maid of the Mist, a boat ride that takes you up close to the falls. I was all alone because they didn't want to go. So off I went. As I was nearing the falls, the mist created by the crashing of the falls intensified. And suddenly, it was almost like rain. And there I was, face to face, with this amazing force of nature. I took out my camera and then put it back in my pocket. I had a moment like this before in North Africa when I was walking surrounded by the gorge. It was a moment that I wanted to capture because I wanted to be reminded of God's beauty. But when I looked at the pictures, I was rather disappointed. It didn't capture the beauty that my eyes saw. It captured something static while my eyes captured something dynamic. It was moving, breathing, alive. The picture was lifeless, still, dead. And I was reminded yet again of the many God-moments I have experienced. And there's a part of me that wishes that I could capture it so I can look at it again and remember. Thankfully, my memory still works and I can go back in time and remember. And to a certain degree, writing about it, in some way, encapsulates it and makes it real. That this was something that I experienced and felt.

As I stood there, looking and feeling the roar of the waterfalls, I am yet again brought face to face with the majesty and awesomeness of my Creator. It was so beautiful... yet it is also deadly at the same time. I would not want to be caught in that water. I am reminded again of how small I am, and how big God is. It was a humbling experience and one that also brought great relief. I know that I can't make it on my own... but I know that I serve a God big enough to deliver me from anything and everything.

Everyone on the boat were taking pictures, looking intensely at the falls, basically completely bedazzled by its beauty. It was beautiful in its grandeur, in its stillness, in its seeming eternality... people hundreds of years ago saw the same thing that my eyes were seeing. That's somewhat mind boggling. This thing has stood the test of time. And will continue to do so. One day, my children will see those same falls. And their children's children will see it too. The thought of that timelessness is ridiculous to contemplate and meditate on.

I think that's what amazes me so much about nature. Nature has this enduring quality about it. Our world is filled with disposable things. Things that come and go. But you look at a mountain and you know that it is not going to go away anytime soon. That mountain will outlive you.

And that does not even compare to the timelessness and eternality of God. HE was the One who made those things. And this Timeless and Eternal One has set His eyes on me and said, "YOU! SID! YES YOU! You will be my son, and I will be Your Father". That is bone-chilling, spine-tingling, amazingness! I get to be a part of a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people who are called out of the darkness into His marvellous light. Selah.

"What do I have that You have not given me
What do I give that is not already Yours
All I possess is this life I'm living
And that's what I give to You, Lord"


and scene...

No comments: